Change from precise to all versions

Alessandro Menti alessandro.menti at hotmail.it
Sun Jul 21 17:21:23 UTC 2013

Il 21/07/2013 16:42, Hannie Dumoleyn ha scritto:

> Op 19-07-13 15:16, Alessandro Menti schreef:
>>
>> Hi Hannie,
>> there is no way, currently, to make a package automatically available
>> for all Ubuntu versions; that choice prevents potential compatibility
>> problems between releases.
>>
>> You can, however, build your manual for the lowest Ubuntu version you
>> intend to support, then copy the resulting package to the other
>> releases.
>> Hope this helps,
>> Alessandro Menti
>>
> Hello Alessandro,
> Thank you for this excellent explanation. It worked. I now have three
> packages,  Series Quantal, Raring and Precise, see (1). The only snag is
> that, looking at the publishing details for Quantal and Raring, it says
> precise, because that is what I put in the changelog. And since the 3
> packages have the same name I cannot just change the changelog and
> upload it to my ppa. So if you, or someone else, can give me a hint,
> that would be most welcome. I will try #launchpad as well.
> Best regards,
> Hannie
>

> (1)
> https://launchpad.net/~lafeber-dumoleyn/+archive/ubuntuhandleiding/+packages

Hi Hannie,
in this case (single source package used to prepare binary .debs for
multiple Ubuntu releases) there is no problem if the release in the
changelog does not always correspond to the one the .deb package is
published to. The only way to keep it "in sync" would be to prepare
three different source packages (each one with the correct release name
in the changelog), but that would be too much of an overhead to maintain.

Alessandro Menti
--
A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink.
The bartender replies "for you, no charge".