Change from precise to all versions

Alessandro Menti alessandro.menti at hotmail.it
Fri Jul 19 13:16:18 UTC 2013

Il 19/07/2013 10:50, Hannie Dumoleyn ha scritto:
> I managed to upload my test package "ubuntumanualnl" to my personal ppa (3).
> My current changelog has this line:
> ubuntumanualnl (12.04ubuntu1) precise; urgency=low
> Now I want to change precise to all versions.
> I read (1) and (2), but they do not give me the right answer to my
> question. When I click on "take a look at the Ubuntu Mobile team's PPA
> copy packages
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-mobile/+archive/ppa/+copy-packages>
> page." I get
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mobile/+archive/ppa/+copy-packages > This
> page does not exist, or you may not have permission to see it.
> Can anyone let me know what is the easiest way to change from precise
> only to all versions?
> This manual is written for precise, but people should be able to install
> it from whatever ubuntu version they have.
> Hannie
>

> (1) https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/BuildingASourcePackage
> (2) https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/Copying
> (3) https://launchpad.net/~lafeber-dumoleyn/+archive/ubuntuhandleiding

Hi Hannie,
there is no way, currently, to make a package automatically available
for all Ubuntu versions; that choice prevents potential compatibility
problems between releases.

You can, however, build your manual for the lowest Ubuntu version you
intend to support, then copy the resulting package to the other
releases: go to your PPA page [1], then click on "View package details"
on the right. On the package details page there is a "Copy packages"
link [2] that will allow you to perform that operation.

You will be asked to choose:
- the source packages you want to copy (choose "ubuntumanualnl");
- the destination PPA (choose your PPA, "ubuntuhandleiding");
- the destination series (choose the releases you want to copy the
package to);
- if you want to "copy the binary package" (reuse the existing .deb
generated for Precise) or rebuild from source.

As for the last point, since your package contains only a PDF file plus
some desktop integration [3], there are no compatibility problems, so
you can just choose to copy the binary package. (If the package
contained executables or libraries, you would need to test if the
original .deb is compatible, then choose to rebuild or not. There is a
thread on this list containing some notes on that matter, see [4]).

Hope this helps,
Alessandro Menti

[1] https://launchpad.net/~lafeber-dumoleyn/+archive/ubuntuhandleiding
[2]
https://launchpad.net/~lafeber-dumoleyn/+archive/ubuntuhandleiding/+copy-packages
[3]
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/145191687/buildlog_ubuntu-precise-i386.ubuntumanualnl_12.04ubuntu1_UPLOADING.txt.gz
[4] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2013-July/007473.html
--
A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink.
The bartender replies "for you, no charge".