Daily builds for PPA. Versions problem

Micah Gersten micahg at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 15 02:01:46 UTC 2013

On 07/14/2013 07:26 PM, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:23:30PM -0400, Scott Howard wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Anton Balashov <sicness at darklogic.ru> wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>> I'm trying to make automatic daily builds if there is new commits in git.
>>> So, many commits have version 1.1.1 and I should to have many debs
>>> with different orig.tar.gz
>>> I want to have some like pkg-1.1.1-<date>ppa1
>>> But when I'm trying to upload new version, I get an error:
>>> pkg-1.1.1.orig.tar.gz was changes. And it's true.
>>> I can put some part of commit hash in version (1.1.1~hash-date..) but
>>> it's breaks order.
>>> I can't have increment system here (or can but non-trivial).
>> use a + instead of ~ ,and put date first since hash is random and date
>> is ordered (higher dates are newer than lower dates).
>> 1.1.1+date-hash
> Use date.hash instead of date-hash. '-' is reserved for separating the debian
> revision from the upstream version of a package.

Per Policy 5.6.12 [1]:

upstream_version

    This is the main part of the version number. It is usually the
    version number of the original ("upstream") package from which the
    |.deb| file has been made, if this is applicable. Usually this will
    be in the same format as that specified by the upstream author(s);
    however, it may need to be reformatted to fit into the package
    management system's format and comparison scheme.

    The comparison behavior of the package management system with
    respect to the upstream_version is described below. The
    upstream_version portion of the version number is mandatory.

    The upstream_version may contain only alphanumerics[36
    <http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/footnotes.html#f36>] and
    the characters . + - : ~ (full stop, plus, hyphen, colon, tilde) and
    should start with a digit. If there is no debian_revision then
    hyphens are not allowed; if there is no epoch then colons are not
    allowed.

So, hyphens are allowed in upstream versions as long as there is a
Debian revision.

Micah

[1]
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version