Create and archive source package

Stephen M. Webb stephen.webb at canonical.com
Wed Jul 10 17:01:32 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 12:28 PM, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
> To learn how to package I have followed the instructions on
> http://developer.ubuntu.com/2012/02/how-to-prepare-a-compiled-application-for-ubuntu-software-center/, replacing Dungeon
> with ubuntumanualnl. I have a question on step 7: Archive the source package.
> In my terminal I did this:
> ~/ubuntumanualnl$ tar Cxf ubuntumanualnl-12.04ubuntu1-debsrc.tar.gz *.dsc *.changes *.tar.gz
> Terminal output:
> tar: This doesn't look like a tar archive
> tar: Skip everything until next header
> tar: ubuntumanualnl_12.04ubuntu1_source.changes: Does not exist in archive
> tar: ubuntumanualnl_12.04ubuntu1.tar.gz: Does not exist in archive
> tar: Stopped because of earlier errors
> P.s. it is not cxf, but Cxf here: /dungeon// directory as the Debian source tar cxf dungeon-1980.0-debsrc.tar.gz *.dsc
> *.changes *.tar.gz
> There also is a spelling error in "Ubuntu Packaging Guide, Release 0.3.2 bzr367 quantal1 (I downloaded
> ubuntu-packaging-guide.pdf), where dh-make should be dh_make (twice).

The "c" (create) and "x" (extract) commands conflict in the example.  From context, it looks like the command should be
this.

  tar czf ubuntumanualnl-12.04ubuntu1-debsrc.tar.gz *.dsc *.changes *.tar.gz

which would create a compressed tar archive called ubuntumanualnl-12.04ubuntu1-debsrc.tar.gz containing the dsc,
changes, and pristine tarball from the current working directory.