Learning to package

Hannie Dumoleyn lafeber-dumoleyn2 at zonnet.nl
Sat Jul 6 11:18:44 UTC 2013

I have gone through a lot of steps in preparation of the actual
packaging (see 8 steps below).
I successfully uploaded  the .changes file to Launchpad. dput
ppa:lafeber-dumoleyn/ubuntu-handleiding12.04
mijn-ubuntu-handleiding_0.1-1_amd64.changes Terminal output:
Successfully uploaded packages. But on
https://launchpad.net/myname/+archive/ubuntu-handleiding12.04 I still
see: This PPA does not contain any packages yet. Any idea why?

I used the commands debuild and dh-make to create the package. If you
need any further information from me, please let me know.

Hannie

Done so far:

1. Install software for package building: $ sudo apt-get install
packaging-dev and $ sudo apt-get install build-essential and sudo
apt-get install dh-make

2. Create GPG key

3. Set up pbuilder (allows you to build packages locally on your
machine, chroot environment)

pbuilder-dist precise create

4. Configure your system to work with Launchpad

  *

    Upload gpg key + SSH key

  *

    Configure Bazaar

  *

    Configure your shell .bashrc: DEBFULLNAME + DEBEMAIL

5. Extract Debian: python-distutils-extra_2.29-1.debian.tar.gz >
/home/ppa/debian

6. Build package

  *

    pbuilder or debuild? *debuild* creates all the files necessary for
    uploading a Debian package.

  *

    Run the command dh-make providing the package name, version number,
    and path to the (upstream) tarball

  *

    Edit changelog, control, copyright files

7. Launchpad: create new PPA then activate PPA on your profile page

  *

    bzr push lp:~my_lp_name/ppa_name or on profile page: create a new PPA

  *

    Enter URL name, display name, description then click button Activate

8. Upload mijn-ubuntu-handleiding*.changes to my_PPA on Launchpad

Successfully uploaded packages. On Launchpad: This PPA does not contain
any packages yet.