Intending to upload Libav 9 to raring

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 11:12:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Reinhard Tartler <siretart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Reinhard Tartler <siretart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
>> <dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> Please upload into PPA, upload rdepends and wait for them to rebuild.
>>> Find problems together with other interested people.
>>
>> Look, ma: https://launchpad.net/~motumedia/+archive/libav9-raring/+packages
>>
>> TODO list of affected packages is here:
>> http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/libav.html
>>
>> Help is more than welcome, espcially with filing bugs and creating
>> patches. Anyone interested in helping out, please mail me so that I
>> can add you to ~motumedia for upload access, until that happens,
>> please upload to your own PPA and we can then copy your fixed packages
>> over.
>
> Our friends at Gentoo now have integrated libav9 as well, and
> experience similar problems:
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=443230&hide_resolved=0
>
> When preparing bugs or patches it might make sense to look at those bugs.
>
> Status update: we are making good progress overall, but we really need
> more people working on it. So please consider helping out!

Another status update: it seems that progress hat pretty much stalled
since a couple of weeks, which means that we are likely to miss this
libav9 for raring. I would find this very disappointing, given the
many great improvements that have been integrated into this release.

On the plus side, a fix for blender is currently being prepared in
pkg-multimedia for debian/experimental:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-multimedia/blender.git -
thanks to Matteo F. Vescovi, who managed to get upstream have a closer
look at this.

However, there are still many packages to fix left. Help on this
project would be greatly appreciated!

--
regards,
    Reinhard