Requesting Sponsorship walkthrough - Debian or MOTU?

John Kim johnkim.ubuntu at
Sun Aug 11 00:09:40 UTC 2013


As of yesterday, my packaging for pylang is complete. The next step now
is to go through the motu procedure for submitting the package.

Although I like that the MOTU sponsorship section was brief and listed
the steps, the MOTU submission process still doesn't seem quite clear,
at least for the new maintainer. For instance, see "follow the new
packaging instructions
to upload it to your PPA or a Launchpad branch." The guide worked most
beautifully until I hit the end, where I got confused.*What exactly do I
have to upload, and how can I accomplish this?* All it gives me is bzr
commit -m... for what? Am I uploading packages or the root directory
itself? See the ls for the work directory holding all the packaging.

    john at kotux:~/packaging$ ls
    build-area pylang_0.0.3-0ubuntu1.dsc
    pylang pylang_0.0.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.changes
    pylang-0.0.3 pylang_0.0.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    pylang-0.0.3.tar.gz pylang_0.0.3-0ubuntu1_source.changes
    pylang-package pylang_0.0.3.orig.tar.gz

Some comments.
*pylang-0.0.3 and pylang-0.0.3.tar.gz are the original ones given to me
by the developer. The rest of the files resulted from the packaging work
*The pylang directory is the directory from which I built the package.
*builddeb stuff all went to build-area

Here's the developer's intention, with questions that I too would ask.

    "I would prefer a direct submit into Ubuntu repositories. /Could we
    avoid to submit to Debian?/
    - I can control the versions in Ubuntu in a better way.
    - We'll have PYLang in Ubuntu in a direct and quick way.
    - We'll entry in Ubuntu 13.10, by the roadmap.
    /Could it be possible submit into Ubuntu now and into Debian in a
    separate way?//"/
    "PD:/Could it be possible backports to Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10 & 13.04

What is the recommended practice? He's worried that submitting to Debian
would mean that his package will be initially released when Saucy
arrives, not before.

Can somebody also provide a good roadmap for the MOTU decision? A
rationale for the Debian decision and a roadmap, if any, too would
really help. From IRC, I noticed that many packagers highly recommend
going through Debian, whereas the developer asserts he would have an
easier time going through Ubuntu instead.

Thanks very much. I could use any help I can get right now.


John Kim
Ubuntu QA & Doc Contributor
johnkim.ubuntu at

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the Ubuntu-motu mailing list