How to write a debian/watch

Rohan Garg rohangarg at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 10 06:47:26 UTC 2013

> After hanging out at the motu channel for a bit, I was recommended to write
> a watch file. Now, what exactly does it do, and how can I use it? Fetch the
> up-to-date dependencies? I guess that would mean a line per dependency.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch/

A watch file specifies where to look for new upstream releases of a source,
uscan [1]  is a tool that parses the watch file and downloads the latest
tarball if there is a newer release. A watch file does NOT fetch the
dependencies of a source itself (assuming that is what you meant in your
original mail). Watch files are also used by UEHS [2] to show packages that can
be updated in Ubuntu. The equivalent site for Debian would be DEHS [3]

Note that you also should read up on uupdate [4] and this [5]

Regards
Rohan Garg

[1] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/raring/man1/uscan.1.html
[2] http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/uehs/no_updated.html