Question about bug fixes in stable releases

Mario Daniel Carugno carugnom at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 23:05:52 UTC 2012

Hi list !

My name is Mario, and i'm curious about one thing related to bug fixing.

Suppose I find a bug in an application that is part of a Ubuntu's stable
release.
For example, a bug in Abiword 2.9.2 (shipped with Ubuntu 12.10).

The question is: Can I fix that bug and give the source back to Abiword's
maintainer, expecting to see the bug fixed soon in Untuntu 12.10 rather
than having to wait for that fix applied in Ubuntu 13.04 ?

Thanks in advance