Intending to upload Libav 9 to raring

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:19:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
<dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 6 November 2012 18:57, Anca Emanuel <anca.emanuel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you will need to CC this on all upstream maintainers.
>>

> No, don't spam people. Transitions is a distribution problem, not
> Debian's not Upstreams.
> Please note, transitions in Ubuntu are simply done collaboratively, we
> don't do "package lists per maintainer" as it is done in Debian.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dmitrijs.
>
> ps. If there are patches written to fix bugs against new library
> abi/api do forward those upstream/debian _as appropriate_. But that is
> always the case regardless if it originated from a transition, or not.

That's right.

As a side note, I note that most of the build failures are caused by
upstream using deprecated APIs, which have been removed in libav 9. I
expect that the majority of packages can be fixed in a way that the
package builds against both, libav 0.8 (which is currently in raring
and wheezy/unstable), as well as libav 9, by avoiding deprecated APIs.
Such API misuse manifest in deprecation warnings in the buildlogs.
Guidelines for porting can be found in
/usr/share/doc/libavcodec-dev/APIChanges.gz, or [1] Please upload such
fixes to raring, and forward the resulting patches to the appropriate
upstream (debian and the original authors).

Thanks.

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-multimedia/libav.git;a=blob;f=doc/APIchanges;hb=ubuntu

--
regards,