Intending to upload Libav 9 to raring

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 6 13:24:49 UTC 2012

On 6 November 2012 12:57, Reinhard Tartler <siretart at gmail.com> wrote:
> CC'ing ubuntu-motu as it heavily affects universe packages.
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 04:30:52PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>>> I intend to upload libav 9 to raring rather sooner than later. I'm writing
>>> you because:
>>>
>>>  - the package is not in debian/unstable yet, but currently sitting in NEW,
>>> targeted at experimental (but syncing is not possible anyway)
>>>  - I don't think that there will be a similar fallout like the last big
>>> libav package, but given that some more internal API got dropped and there
>>> are a number of packages in the archive that use deprecated APIs, there
>>> will be some problems.
>>>  - I remember that Collin requested such big updates to be announced before
>>> on this mailing list. I'm doing it with this email.
>>
>> I did?  I don't remember that particularly ...
>>
>> Anyway, I don't have a problem with this provided that you commit to
>> organising an effort to identify and fix the problems in
>> reverse-dependencies.  Last time, other people had to do a lot of work
>> to clean up the mess and it all involved much more disruption than was
>> necessary.
>
> Well, it it not like I had run away last time. Of course I did join
> the effort to fix the resulting mess, but obviously, it was a lot of
> work. Currently, I count over 80 packages that are directly affected
> by this, most of them in universe.
>
> While fixing all packages in main would be no problem for me, I cannot
> commit to fixing all packages in universe and hereby ask for
> assistance.

Please upload into PPA, upload rdepends and wait for them to rebuild.
Find problems together with other interested people.
Please patches or even upload patches into the archive, only then
upload new library into the archive for a quick and smooth transition.
This has worked great with python3.3 transition.

Possibly setup a transition tracker on
http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/
(there are a few examples in the branch to try out locally, see the
branch link at the botton of any tracker)

>> (Please note that, assuming you're using the same source package name
>> with a changed set of binary package names, the new -proposed migration
>> system will enforce that this work is done before allowing the new libav
>> into raring; so it is in your interest to make sure that it happens.)
>
> Does the migration system consider only the packages in main, or does
> it require to not break universe?

It requires both and across all architectures (i386, amd64, armel,
armhf and powerpc).

Regards,

Dmitrijs.