Building a stupidly simple .deb

Corey Quinn corey at sequestered.net
Tue Mar 13 07:43:12 UTC 2012

On Mar 13, 2012, at 12:22 AM, Christoph Mathys wrote:

> And one for the list...
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Corey Quinn <corey at sequestered.net> wrote:
>> I'm attempting to build a $PROJECT/debian directory so that I ultimately wind up with a .deb that does the functional equivalent of this:
>>
>> cp -r ~/sources/$PROJECT /var/$PROJECT
>>
>> Ideally this would bypass the $PROJECT/debian directory; no need for that to become part of the package.
>
> Ever looked at man dh_install? I suppose you could just add -Xdebian (eXclude).
>
>> I've tried a few things and am somewhat at a loss for as to how best to proceed-- what should the rules and install files look like?  I've got the control file fairly well set at this point.
>
> OK, you have looked at dh_install :). The rules file depends on which
> build system you use (e.g. cdbs or not, which version). With debhelper
> I'd just have to add something like this to my rules file (debhelper
> 8):
> override_dh_install:
>    dh_install -Xdebian

Okay, I've stolen this shamelessly.  Now debuild -S spits out:
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1340:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc -S failed

This is where I tend to fall completely to custard.

debian/rules:
 : cat rules
#!/usr/bin/make -f
#export DH_VERBOSE=1
%:
override_dh_install:
	   dh_install -Xdebian

I assume I need something like an override_dh_clean, but I'm not sure what to tell it.

Also, do I need an install file, or does this situation not call for one?

I appreciate your help-- my apologies if this is something blindingly obvious; I struggle with debian packaging, as it hasn't quite "clicked" for me yet.

-- Corey