Searching for a mentor

Petko pditchev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:18:13 UTC 2012

On 02/09/2012 09:05 PM, Rob Oakes wrote:
> Hi Petko,
>
> On 2/9/2012 11:49 AM, Petko wrote:
>> For me : I'm a medical student from Bulgaria (2nd year) . I've been
>> programming since high school and can work with C++ (some OpenGL) ,VB
>> and QB (don't really matter :D) . I've done something like a 3D engine
>> and have an AI project so I've done quite a bit of coding , but
>> haven't worked with large codebases that others designed and user
>> oriented stuff, so I'm not very oriented how to work with the codebase
>> here .
> Where are you located? Do you currently live in Bulgaria?
>
> For most things, working through the Internets is a good way to
> collaborate. However, mentoring is not most things.
>
> The best mentoring relationships I've had were in real life. When going
> through medical school (I'm an engineer with an MD, not a physician), I
> met once a month with a formal mentor that the school assigned me. We
> would usually go to a coffee shop and he would ask me how things were going.
>
> The meetings were never particularly long, but, they were always
> helpful. I could ask about school, family, and other stuff. Because we
> were in the same room, these exchanges were always more effective than
> if we'd been chatting through email or via phone.
>
> I've found this to be true of students I've mentored in programming. We
> set up a time to meet every so often (maybe once a month, or a couple
> times of year), and we talk about things they've got going on. It might
> be a programming problem, or a question about the industry, or thoughts
> about how to balance family/life. Again, the meetings are never terribly
> long (maybe 30 minutes), but we get a lot more done than we would via
> pure email exchange. (We do that too.)
>
> I say all this, because, you might be better off trying to find someone
> locally. You might look into the local Ubuntu groups for your area,
> there's usually a programmer or two who hangs about.  If you can't find
> one for Ubuntu, you might look into a group for your favorite languages.
> Here in the states, we've got groups for Python, C++, Qt, and others.
>
> If you're just looking for someone to help navigate the (ridiculously
> confusing) Ubuntu community, you might try IRC. They can help somewhat.
> But, nothing beats finding a mentor who you can actually talk to.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob Oakes
I agree about your views on effective mentoring , but I haven't seen
active bulgarian ubuntu members, and ,yes, I mostly need help navigating
the community (and at some point understanding the way of the program
from the programming IDE to the repositories ) .

PS:sry,forgot to add the ubuntu-motu to cc the first time

Petko