[Launchpad-users] 3 questions about managing java-package in ubuntu

Micah Gersten micahg at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 17 19:39:01 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 02:11 PM, Cédric Pineau wrote:

>  Hi to all.
>
>  I maintain java-package in Debian and just gave attention to the fact
> that Ubuntu is using java-package too :-)
>  And so that I must take care of bugs and questions that may come on
> your side.
>  Here my questions about this :
>
>  1) I commented and closed several bugs as fixed in 0.50 or commited
> in the to-be-released 0.51 versions.
>  1)a) Is it ok to do so ? Or do you have people in charge of this I
> must talk to ?
Marking them closed, as in fixed, in the form (LP: #XXXXXX) is appreciated.
>  1)b) Is it ok to close as"released" when a fix is available in
> Quantal for a bug opened on Lucid fo example (that is the fix is _not_
> easily available on Lucid) ?
Yes, on sync, the bugs should be automatically mark as Fix Released when
a fixed version hits the development release.
>  1)c) How can I know when the to-come 0.51 version in Debian will be
> released in Quantal so that I can change bugs with "commited" status
> to "released ?

You can request a sync from Debian with the requestsync tool in
ubuntu-dev-tools which is also found in Debian.  Please be aware of the
Quantal release schedule [1] which has Feature freeze as next Thursday,
Aug 23.  You can request an update with features in it after this date
if necessary, but it will require a freeze exception (-e flag for
requestsync).

>  2) Who can close
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/java-package/+bug/241238 as
> won't fix ? I can't :-) !
Done.

>  3) What can I do to enable easy collaboration between Debian and
> Ubuntu on this package, for me, for you ?
>  I tried the "link upstream project" but didn't understand how to link
> to http://packages.qa.debian.org/j/java-package.html ..
You can subscribe to bugs either through the PTS or on Launchpad
itself.  If you fix a launchpad bug as well in your Debian upload, just
close it in the changelog.  If you'd like to fix bugs in stable
releases, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates .  If you
need to make an Ubuntu specific upload, see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess . From the Ubuntu point of
view, we'd prefer to keep this in sync with Debian if possible, so it
seems like you're already doing everything right here :)  Feel free to
join #ubuntu-motu on freenode IRC with any questions or send an E-Mail
to the ubuntu-motu list here.