git-dch version formatting

Corey Quinn corey at sequestered.net
Wed Apr 25 05:34:47 UTC 2012

I'm attempting to take a git repo (private, unfortunately) and turn it into a package.  As I go, I'm borrowing liberally from a pre-existing package here.

The command that I'd dearly love to get working is:
git-dch --verbose  --auto --ignore-branch --debian-branch=master --snapshot --id-length=8 --snapshot-number=${BUILD_NUMBER}

However, almost any invocation of git-dch throws: Version 1.0 not found

My change log entry reads:
packagename (1.0) lucid; urgency=low

  * Initial release. I suspect there will be many more.

 -- Corey Quinn <corey at sequestered.net>  Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:14:38 +0000

What magic am I missing here?

-- Corey