No top level make-file

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 3 09:38:06 UTC 2011

Hi Shayon

On 02/10/11 21:50, Shayon Mukherjee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to MOTU and packaging and currently working on the
> needs-packaging bug. So, i found a bug and got the source code of
> it. But there is no make-file in it, that being said I think some
> tunning will be needing in the rules file right ?
>
> if so is there a sample/template i can look into ?
>
> This source has a linux-install.sh file, that being said it
> installs using the shell script. Or should i just try to convert
> the shell scrip to .deb first. I havent done that before but read
> somewhere. And not sure how it will help either?
>
> For reference the bug is -
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/830052
>
> Thanks much
>
> Shayon

PortableSigner is a Java application and uses Ant (see [0]) as its
build system - so you won't find a Makefile as such - the package has
an Ant build.xml file instead.

Fortunately debhelper and javahelper understand about ant - see [1].
For more information on what javahelper can do I recommend you install
the package and take a look at the documentation in [2] - as well as
automatically detecting the build.xml file it can do pretty much
everything that the linux-install.sh script does.  Javahelper should
also be able to generate a basic package for you - see man jh_makepkg.

You may need to patch the build.xml to use Ubuntu provided Java
libraries rather than any bundled versions of libraries - I took a
quick look through the build.xml file and it looks like the package
builds for multiple platforms so you will probably need to patch some
of that out as well (see the Ubuntu Packaging Guide [4] for more help).

I would also recommend you read the Debian Java policy (see [3]) - it
lays out where Java files should be placed for applications and
libraries and generally provides some good advice.  As Ubuntu is
derived from Debian its important that we follow the same packaging
policies.

Hope that helps - if you have any questions you can normally find me
in #ubuntu-motu on Freenode IRC.

Cheers

James

[0] http://ant.apache.org