Could someone assist with applying my simple patch in 518393?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Mar 17 11:24:07 UTC 2011

Stefano Rivera <stefanor at ubuntu.com> wrote:

Hi Chris (2011.03.15_22:39:49_+0200) > This culture of rejecting anything good that doesn't have a debdiff > needs to stop, as it's completely frustrating for contributors. However, the sponsorship queue is for sponsoring uploads. I trust the contributor preparing it to have done the necessary testing and be pretty sure it's a good idea. And I'll do my best to help walk them through the necessary changes and patch-forwarding. Having high-quality, almost-ready uploads keeps the time the sponsor spends down to reasonable limits. That's not to say that one doesn't do a reasonable review of the proposed upload, but on the whole the sponsors queue has higher quality work, that's more likely to result in an upload. We have 2000 odd bugs with patches waiting for ubuntu-reviewers, a number that I can't see us getting down quickly. Should patch pilots be reviewing those too? Should be be encouraging drive-by contributors to subscribe sponsors rather than reviewers? I'm obviously not a
 gainst
anything that sees us fix more bugs in Ubuntu, and lowering the barrier to initial contribution, if we can handle the load, and it doesn't slow down contributors without upload rights who rely on the sponsorship queue too much. SR -- Stefano Rivera http://tumbleweed.org.za/ H: +27 21 465 6908 C: +27 72 419 8559 UCT: x3127 -- Ubuntu-motu mailing list Ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-motu

It's a balance. What you say is true. On the other hand, rejection, particularly over administrivia, is demotivating. A little extra effort to help the contributor be successful can provide a much more positive experience.

"It needed a little work. I had change a, b, c and here's what you do next time ..." is a much more positive experience than "It needs a, b, c. Resubscribe sponsors when you've fixed it." It accomplishes the same training and it keeps the sponsor's queue short by minimizing repeat trips through the queue.

Scott K