Removing XULRunner from oneiric - call for help

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 16 17:40:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Chris Coulson <chrisccoulson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I've already spent way too much on time on this and I really need to be
> doing other things, so unless someone steps up now for a particular
> application that they care about, the remaining pacakges depending on
> xulrunner will be dropped from the archive by alpha 2. This includes:

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for the heads-up.

> - xiphos - needs either porting to Webkit (probably a lot of work, but
> not sure yet) or switched to using is gtkhtml backend (easy, but gtkhtml
> sucks).
> - dehydra - already using Spidermonkey, but needs switching to use the
> proper lib. Probably just minor build-system changes.
> - mongodb - same as dehydra.

I can't speak for any of the other packages that you mentioned, but
MongoDB is still quite important to the Ubuntu Server Community, as
it's about to become a dependency of the CloudFoundry PaaS packages.

I know that you and Brian (on CC) have had a private conversation
about this, but just for the rest of -devel's and -motu's awareness,
Brian is in the process of migrating the mongodb package build to use
the replacement library.

Thanks!
Dustin

> - edbrowse - needs porting to Spidermonkey 1.8.5. Based on experience of
> doing this already for couchdb, gxine and mongodb, this is probably
> going to be a lot of work for the unfortunate victim who ends up doing
> this.
>
> The list of remaining work can be found at
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-mozilla-rapid-release-maintenance
>
> There are still other outstanding items not mentioned here, either
> because people really shouldn't bother with them, they have someone
> assigned or I still plan to look at them (eg, vlc, fennec and eclipse).
>
> If I've not heard anything by the end of the week, I will assume that
> nobody cares about the remaining packages and will start filing removal
> requests for them.

Please don't remove mongodb, per above ;-)

Thanks,
--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland