[youtube-dl] Download speed metric

Romulo Curty Cerqueira curty at ieee.org
Sun May 16 17:07:38 BST 2010

Thanks for your answer Mr Drung.

That's fine for me too. The use of kB/s is also correct.

Note that "k" for kilo (=1000 times) and "K" is for Kelvin (= a metric for
temperature).
So "k" is correct because it should be in lowercase.
And "s" is also correct because it should be in lowercase to means "second"
(=a metric for time).
More details could be seen at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_system_of_units

But the binary prefix for amount of data metric does not have a good
standard yet. The National Institute of Standards and Technology in the
United States has suggested the use of bit for bits and B for byte but (in
January 1999) created a new designation for binary prefixes. The IEEE
Standards Board decided that IEEE standards will use the conventional,
internationally adopted, definitions of the SI prefixes.(see details at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix#Units_used_in_computing_and_telecommunications
).

So 8 kbps = 8 kb/s = 1 kB/s = 8000 bits per second.
Then the metric kB/s can be used.

The only metric that is not acceptable is k/s, because it is for frequency
and k/s = 1000 x 1/s = 1000 Hz = 1 kHz. :-)

Thanks for your attention.

Romulo