Please do not tell people interested in working on?Qt/KDE?apps?in Universe #ubuntu-motu is the wrong channel

Michael Bienia michael at bienia.de
Fri Jun 18 19:04:12 BST 2010

On 2010-06-18 13:00:17 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Kubuntu-dev only covers main.

That explains my mistake. So the kubuntu package set only covers the KDE
subset from main and allows Kubuntu developers to upload those without
being a core-dev. Any KDE packages that are in universe aren't part of
this package set.
(The same applies for Gnome packages in main and ubuntu-desktop.)

I assumed that the kubuntu package set has a broader scope and covered all
packages that are primarily used on KDE desktops.

Are there any plans/ideas to expand the scope of the kubuntu package set
or will it stay like that forever?

> Are GTK/Gnome packages better suited to MOTU or ubuntu-desktop?  Where
> would you draw the line?

To be honest, I don't know as I seem to not fully understand how we use
package sets currently.

> Qt/KDE packages are not very different than most other packages in
> Universe. There is,  for example, far less domain specific knowledge
> required for them than for Python packages.
>
> So I wouldn't treat experience with Qt/KDE packages in Universe any
> differently than I would any other package. I'd be a lot more
> concerned with the fact that most of them use CDBS, so it's quite easy
> to not have any real experience with Debhelper based packages.

With this new knowledge, I agree with you that someone who works on
KDE/Qt packages in universe should go for MOTU and not be redirected to
kubuntu-dev.

Michael