Please do not tell people interested in working on Qt/KDE apps in?Universe #ubuntu-motu is the wrong channel

Christopher Swift christopher.swift at linux.com
Wed Jun 16 23:55:00 BST 2010

Ar Mer, 2010-06-16 am 18:47 -0400, ysgrifennodd Scott Kitterman:

> "Christopher Swift" <christopher.swift at linux.com> wrote:
>
> >Ar Mer, 2010-06-16 am 17:24 -0400, ysgrifennodd Scott Kitterman:
> >> I get that you think it's OK to tell people who want to be a MOTU to go elsewhere if they express an interest in a KDE/Qt packages.
> >>
> >> I disagree.
> >>
> >> Scott K
> >>
> >Scott,  in this conversation from what I have read in the thread all
> >that has happened is that the guy asking for help,  shadeslayer,  was
> >advised to hang out in #kubuntu-devel since that is the location where
> >people who can assist with KDE-related technical matters in Ubuntu are
> >most likely to be found in one place.  The MOTU team is a great team for
> >assistance in packaging but if a specific KDE-related error popped up
> >then hanging out in both #kubuntu-devel & #ubuntu-motu would allow that
> >developer to get help and fix the problem much more easier since there
> >is a great pool of assistance to choose from.
> >
> >In my humble opinion,  there is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with
> >recommending a developer/contributor to be in two related channels which
> >focus on two different aspects on which they will need to combine to do
> >their task most efficiently.  This is a big case of something out of
> >nothing.
> >
> You're welcome to you're opinion. The problem is it's unrelated to what happened. He didn't ask for help with Qt packaging. He asked for help becoming a MOTU.
>
> If the situation were that he was asking for help with a specific package,  then I would agree.
>
> Scott K

In this instance,  fabrice_sp was simply suggesting that connecting to
other K* channels would help him out overall.  He didn't say,  "well to
join the MOTU it is best off that you head to #kubuntu-*" but rather "if
you hang out in #kubuntu-* you may also pick up some other tips".  In
the -motu channel itself he tried to link him to the /MOTU/Mentoring
page on the wiki however the other contributor beat him to it.  I can't
really see what happened next after the message at 15:29:16 to see how
that developed.

Christopher Swift
--
Christopher Swift <christopher.swift at linux.com>