Please do not tell people interested in working on Qt/KDE apps in Universe #ubuntu-motu is the wrong channel

Steven Harms thisdyingdream at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:24:34 BST 2010

I think you are mislead by the term "Masters of the Universe".  At no
point is everyone in #ubuntu-motu a domain specific expert on every
facet of every type of package.  For expert advice, you probably want
to join channels dedicated to that subject.

I see MOTU as a channel for general questions and questions regarding
generic packaging and preferences, and specific channels for detailed
oriented.  I don't think anyone says you can't ask on both forums, nor
kicked anyone from the channel.

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:10 AM, ubuntu at kitterman.com
<scott at kitterman.com> wrote:

> "Soren Hansen" <soren at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:03:52PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> Today in my backscroll I see:
>>>
>>> [15:13:58] <fabrice_sp> shadeslayer, what do you want?
>>[...]
>>> [15:29:16] <shadeslayer> fabrice_sp: that package was sponsored by maco in
>>> #kubuntu-devel :P
>>>
>>> This is completely inappropriate. Let me know when #ubuntu-motu is open for
>>> everyone in the Ubuntu community.
>>
>>Sorry, maybe I'm being dense, but which part exactly is offensive?
>
> The part where someone is told because the package name starts with q, #ubuntu-motu is the wrong channel. The person doing the asking is in fact very active in #kubuntu-devel, but was reaching out to MOTU to try and broaden themselves when they got sent away.
>
> This may seem over sensitive to you,  but recently someone was turned down for MOTU because they work on KDE packages and this sort of pushing away people focused on one part of Universe only reinforces the problem.
>
> Scott K

GPG Key ID: C92EF367 / 1428 FE8E 1E07 DDA8 EFD7 195F DCCD F5B3 C92E F367

WWW: http://www.sharms.org/blog