Updated LyX Packages for Maverick Meercat

Rob Oakes lyx-devel at oak-tree.us
Mon Aug 16 03:58:06 BST 2010

Dear Ubuntu-Motu,

As a quick way of introduction, my name is Rob Oakes.  I am writing with a few questions related to the LyX (http://www.lyx.org) packages that are currently available in the Maverick repositories.

On the LyX developers list, we have received several questions about when the most stable version of LyX (1.6.7) will become available to Ubuntu users.  At present, the version listed is 1.6.5.  This is somewhat problematic as version 1.6.5 has several known compatibility issues with Qt 4.6 that have been fixed in later releases.

After a bit of discussion, it became apparent that there is no current maintainer for LyX on Ubuntu and updates occur only when it is merged with Debian.  Given the prominence of Ubuntu in the Linux world, I and several other developers felt that we needed an active maintainer for Ubuntu in addition to one for Debian.

I have volunteered for that responsibility.

But though I have been a Ubuntu user for several years and actively work on another Launchpad-based project (https://launchpad.net/time-drive), I have never been a maintainer for a program included in the official Ubuntu repositories.  Is there a Wiki that documents the how to apply for official inclusion?  I have already found the community documentation describing how to create packages and upload them to Launchpad (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete) and I will be creating a PPA for updated packages early tomorrow.

As I understand that Ubuntu has been frozen, is there any special process I would need to follow in order to have these packages included in 10.10?  I have read the community documentation, but it was not clear how a non-Ubuntu member (e.g. me), would be able to update the available packages.

Any insights or advice you might be able to offer would be extremely appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob Oakes