ubuntu-tweak in new

Aron Xu happyaron.xu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 10:24:23 BST 2010

于 2010年08月05日 23:37, Andrew SB 写道:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Stephan Hermann <sh at sourcecode.de> wrote:
>> We had that in the past, and this will happen with unreflected usage of
>> tools like this. (Please read the threads about Automatix and Friends in
>> the past...google have references)
>
> For reference, here's Matthew Garrett's technical review of Automatix:
>
> http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html
>
> Re-reading that now, I note that the issue of adding untrusted third
> party sources doesn't seem to be the argument against Automatix.
>
> - Andrew SB

I've read through the paragraphs, the several things Matthew has written
are about some (serious) problems that Automatix had: poor packaging
quality, security problems, etc. But ubuntu-tweak doesn't have those
problems:

1.Debian packaging stuff are in good shape.

2.Run as a common user application, only prompt for privilege when
actually needed, it uses policykit to manage the authorizing and
privileged sessions.

3.Written in python completely, so it does not have cross-platform
issues (expected for Python is cross-platform).

4.Use python-apt backend to support software installation progress
currently, and planning to switch to packagekit/aptdaemon in near
future, so there is no problem on maintaining a full package dependency
or do some unsuitable actions such as `kill -9 dpkg' in Automatix.

5.Third party software is only from Launchpad PPAs, no need to concern
about building some software from source or other binaries and have
files not tracked in dpkg's info database. PPAs in the list are
selected, which are believed to be used by many other users and really
useful. As I've said in earlier mails, it is better to give some
suggestions for those who are looking for PPAs to

6.Does not take any default action, nor provide default set of action to
users that they don't know what is happening when they choose them. It
just do what the user have selected, and before doing so it will warn if
the action might be harmful. Though there might be some description and
warning messages are still not perfect, but they are easy to be improved
and I believe the author is happy to do so when people give reasonable
suggestions.

--
Regards,
Aron Xu