ubuntu-tweak in new

Aron Xu happyaron.xu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 16:35:40 BST 2010

The untrusted PPAs are options for users that who would like to enjoy
newer versions of software, or something else that are not provided in
Ubuntu archive. I know users can request for packaging or request for
backports, but it is really a difficult thing for a common user to to
all the coordination and I believe there are many of them will choose
a PPA on there own risks.

Users are warned, even other users don't get that warnings from Launchpad.

The PPAs are selected by the ubuntu-tweak authors and community
contributors. You may want to pay some time to have a look at
ubuntu-tweak.com, which enables the users to add there suggestions and
reviews for the developers. Developers will review the PPAs and ask
for user feedback for whether the PPAs are good on there own
experience. Developers will also only add PPAs which have a
significant audience, for example the Mozilla Security Team PPA.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 22:21, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 09:16:05 pm LI Daobing wrote:

>> > I don't know that there is a problem, but given the invasive nature of
>> > it's functionality, I think it appropriate for it to be given more of a
>> > review than just being packaged properly.  In Ubuntu's history there
>> > have been multiple "Tweak" programs and so far they have always proved
>> > to be more harmful than helpful at the scale the Ubuntu archive
>> > operates.
>> >
>> > This one may be the one that gets it right, but having found that they
>> > rebrand PPAs that other people maintain as there's on their web site,
>> > I'm not at all inclined to assume this is all well intentioned.
>>
>> you are right.
>>
>> this package is active-maintained, and I'll forward your opinion to
>> the upstream author. I think he'll fix this bug.
>>
>> ubuntu-tweak is very useful for me, and it's also has many users. so I
>> want to push it to Ubuntu and hope it can catch ubuntu 10.10.
>>
>> thanks.
>
> I don't have a lot of time for a detailed review.  A quick look shows that
> this can enable quite a number of untrusted repositories.  My recollection is
> that we although Envy was initially accepted doing something similar it was
> required to be fixed to not do this.  I don't think a package that adds
> untrusted repositories is suitable.
>
> It would be good if someone else could do a more thorough review.
>
> Scott K

Regards,
Aron Xu