What happended to mozilla-noscript

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 21 19:55:40 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 20:27 +0200, Andreas Heinlein wrote:
> Am 21.04.2010 17:21, schrieb Dmitrijs Ledkovs:
> > On 21 April 2010 07:36, Andreas Heinlein<aheinlein at gmx.com>  wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> anyone here who knows why mozilla-noscript is not available for lucid
> >> anymore? This page
> >>
> >> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/mozilla-noscript/1.9.9.47-1
> >>
> >> says it was removed because it being an "unsuportable Mozilla
> >> extension", but from the linked page I do not quite understand what this
> >> means.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Andreas
> >>

> > Please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/Lucid/FirefoxNewSupportModel
> >
> > We will not be able to support all extensions over next 3 years on
> > Lucid Desktop editions. Hence non-plugins are expected to be installed
> > by users from the firefox addons website.
> >
> > With regards,
> >
> > Dmitrijs.
> >
> Thank you, I read the page and think I now understand the reasons. One
> more question, the page above mentions that extensions could be moved to
> a ppa. Is there any progress on this?
>
> I need noscript - and some other extensions like adblock - to be
> installed system-wide on a considerable count of machines (>50), so a
> package is the easiest way. Easier than finding a way to run "firefox
> --install-global-extension" on every machine...
>
> bye,
> Andreas

Hi,

mozilla-noscript was actually amongst the limited number of extensions
(alongside adblock) we wanted to support, due to its popularity with
users. The issue with it though is that it releases too frequently.
These releases are often for important security fixes, and we eventually
decided that it would just be too difficult for us to maintain to a
satisfactory standard and that users would benefit from security updates
faster if they used the package from addons.mozilla.org instead.

We haven't moved any extensions in to a PPA, as this doesn't really
solve the issue of supportability (it just moves it from the main
archive, but somebody still has to put in the effort to support it).

Please feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Thanks
Chris