How do we deal with boudled libraries

Rickard Närström rickard.narstrom at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 12:16:10 BST 2010

I am together with upstream trying to package Clementine Player [1] [2].
A music player and library organizer. Clementine is in large parts based
on Amarok 1.4 but ported to Qt4 and doesn't use any KDE libraries. It
also can connect to Last.fm for Internet radio.

The problem at hand is that Clementine's is bundled with parts of the Qt
extension library (libqxt) [3] and a single application add-on to Qt
from Nokia [4]. The question is: do we need to pack those libraries
separately?

For libqxt a needs-packaging request [5] is open but haven't been
touched but since it was added about 1 and a half year ago. I haven't
really looked in to it but could probably pack it if necessary. Note
that Clementine only bandels with a vary small portion of libqxt and
that linking it to an external libqxt would likely significantly
increase memory usage.

The single application add-on is a small (104 KB source code). It can be
build as a shlib and packaged separately, but I see it as unlikely we
will see any other package using this add-on in a near future. Is it
worth the extra effort to pack this separately?

Davis Sansome, a upstream Clementine developer, receives a copy of this
message. We have been in touch earlier regarding this.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/549009
[2] http://code.google.com/p/clementine-player/
[3] http://www.libqxt.org/
[4]