how to package a kernel module?

Christoph Mathys eraserix at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 19:12:45 BST 2010

Hello!

Not sure if I picked to correct list for asking about packaging kernel
modules and handle different kernels, so sorry if this question is OT.

The software in question contains some userland tools and a kernel
module. It seems pretty straight forward to just compile and pack
everything together for the system as it is just at the given moment.

However, I'm completely lost when it comes to handling kernel modules in
a little more elaborate way. I could not find much documenation about
how to do this, module-assistant being more or less the only specific
tool for module handling I found.

So, how do I handle different flavours and versions of a kernel? What to
do if the kernel is upgraded? Do I need to provide a package for every
kernel that should be supported? Or better create a package which will
compile itself if the kernel on the system is not supported? But then,
what to do if a different kernel is booted next time? I hope for some
pointers on how I could handle this one or which packages do a similar
thing so I could take a closer look.

Thanks!
Christoph