FFe request for audacity
afterthebeep at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 05:20:18 BST 2009
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Stefan Potyra <
stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> Am Friday 21 August 2009 15:17:54 schrieb Benjamin Drung:
> > Hello,
> > I would like to have a general feature freeze exception for audacity for
> > karmic. The odd 1.3.* releases of audacity are beta releases. Since
> > hardy Ubuntu is using the 1.3 series. Upstream focuses now a stable
> > release (1.4 or 2.0). They are polishing audacity and fixing many bugs
> > and they try to not introduce new features.
> > According to their mailing list they have following release time line:
> > * 1.3.9 - Aug 25
> > * 1.3.10 - Sep 25
> > * rc - Oct 7
> > * release - Oct 15
> > If they need more time, they will probably release a 1.3.11 on Oct 15
> > and the final release after karmic.
> > I would like to see the latest release of audacity in Ubuntu 9.10.
> I assume, upstream are aware of karmic's release schedule? That'd be
> and I'm personally in favor of having upstream supported versions in the
> Release happening at Oct 15 might be a bit short of time, due to Ubuntu's
> FinalFreeze starting there. Bugfixes (and I assume rc -> release would mean
> bug fixes only) could still go in though.
> That said, I'm also raising this on ubuntu-studio-devel (CC'd) for further
> : <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule>
> Ubuntu-Studio-devel mailing list
> Ubuntu-Studio-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
Well, seeing as it's been a week since the above stated 1.3.9 release date
and the Audacity website still only has 1.3.8 available, it's hard to trust
the claims of the timeline (though it should be out any day now).
Furthermore, upon browsing the Audacity-devel mailing list archives, a
couple items are very clear:
1) The devs are NOT concerned about the Ubuntu release date, however
they ARE concerned about the Windows 7 release date and their version 1.3.8
not working so well with it.
2) New features ARE being added for the coming releases, these are not
merely bug-fix releases in preparation for a stable release, though
substantial bug fixing is being done.
I do believe it would be good to have an FFE for Audacity, however, I don't
think we should hold our breath for a 1.4 or 2.0 release. I would support a
FFE for 1.3.10 at the latest.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ubuntu-motu