menu

Norman Peelman npeelman at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 13 22:51:30 BST 2009

   Below is a partial copy of a thread from alt.os.linux.ubuntu. It was
suggested to me to drop a line as a wish list for menu.

>>> Getting back on topic,  if you want to give KDE a try, am I correct in
>>> assuming there is no actual compelling reason to wipe Ubuntu to stick
>>> Kubuntu on, you just install KDE and log into that session, correct?
>>  >
>> When I was using Fedora 10 I installed the Gnome version. After a while
 > I got curious about KDE and went to the package manager and clicked
on all
 > the KDE relevant stuff I could find (or was interested in as an
associated feature).
 > After it loaded, which took quite some time, I had an option after
booting to log
 > into either a Gnome or KDE session. There was an awkward overlap of
menu choices
 > across Gnome and KDE environments that you probably wouldn't see if
you went pure either way.

This was my reply:

>   You do realize that when you have multiple desktop environments installed you can use the
 > apps from one while in another. :) Now, it would be nice if there was
a way to hide the
 > 'alternate' menu items under different menus when not using them, for
instance:

> Applications->Gnome->stuff
>             ->KDE->stuff
>             ->xfce->stuff
>             ->Enlightenment->stuff
>             ->???
>
> where each environment shows its own menu structure by default and the others are accessible
> by following the menus...
>
> Gnome:
>
> Applications->Accessories
>                ->KDE->???
>                ->xfce->???
>                ->Enlightenment->???
>             ->Games
>                ->KDE->???
>                ->xfce->???
>                ->Enlightenment->???
>             ->Graphics
>                ->KDE->???
>                ->xfce->???
>                ->Enlightenment->???
>
> KDE:
>
> Applications->Accessories
>                ->Gnome->???
>                ->xfce->???
>                ->Enlightenment->???
>             ->Games
>                ->Gnome->???
>                ->xfce->???
>                ->Enlightenment->???
>             ->Graphics
>                ->Gnome->???
>                ->xfce->???
>                ->Enlightenment->???

    Not sure how much trouble this would be but it sure would cut down
on the menu clutter.
Of course the user has the ability to do this manually.

Thank you for your time,

Norman Peelman

--
Norman