upstream Source patches and patch systems

fabrice coutadeurf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 07:13:36 BST 2009

John Dong escribió:
> Can you clarify these two points? To my 2AM mind it reads as if the

It's because my 7AM mind needs some coffee :-)

let me rephrase it this way:
- if modification has already been done, stick to what the Debian
maintainer or Ubuntu is already doing. That mean use the existing patch
system, if any, or modify directly the source if some modifications has
already been done, but do not add a patch system.
- if it's a Debian package and no previous modifications has been done,
modify directly the source, and do not introduce a patch system
- if it's an Ubuntu (-0ubuntuX) package and no previous modifications
has been done, adding a patch system is preferred

Is that better? :-)

Thanks,
Fabrice