Re: Søren Hansen and Michael Bienia

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Nov 2 13:44:16 GMT 2009

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:00:57 +0000 Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
> If the CC need to,
>we can make direct appointments and replacements on any structure in
>Ubuntu, and will do so.

Certainly the CC can (and if they can't you, as SABDFL, can).  That doesn't
mean you should.

While the outcome in this case is clearly reasonable, I think some push
back about how the decision was taken is also reasonable.  As nearly as I
can determine, the discussion that led to this decision was all, or nearly
all, non-public.  I understand that there was some sense of urgency, but
I'm not aware of any actual need for privacy.

Transparency in governance is an essential thing for Ubuntu (IMO).
Personally, I find the lack of transparency (and the negative reaction to
calls for transparency) unfortunate at best.  Many of the people involved
in Ubuntu believe that working in an open and collaborative manner to
produce software (and a Linux dostribution) is the best, most effective way
to do it.  It shouldn't be suprising to find that perspective generalized
to other aspects of the project.

Scott K