Make ~ubuntu-dev a member of ubuntu-universe-sponsors?

Andrew a.starr.b at gmail.com
Wed May 13 18:33:00 BST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM, James Westby
<jw+debian at jameswestby.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After seeing several people asking to join the sponsors team in the
> last few days, presumably purely so that they can un-subscribe the
> team from bugs, I wanted to suggest removing the need to do that.
>
> My proposal is simply to make ~ubuntu-dev (or should it be ~motu
> and ~ubuntu-core-dev individually?) to the team. This would mean
> that anyone with upload rights would automatically be a member of
> the team.
>
> ~ubuntu-universe-sponsors has a mailing list, so it should lead
> to zero extra mails (well, maybe one when it is added), and will
> remove this obstacle to sponsoring.
>
> The decision is up to the administrators of the two teams I guess,
> but if no-one can come up with a good reason not to do it then I
> will request the change in a week or so.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

I'm not necessarily saying this shouldn't be done, but I do see one
potential issue for contributors looking for sponsors. Making all of
~ubuntu-dev part of ~ubuntu-universe-sponsors can cause a bit of
confusion as to what hat people are wearing at the time when
commenting on a bug. While anyone with upload rights can potentially
sponsor an upload, it's useful for contributors to know if they are
dealing with someone specifically interested in sponsoring their
upload or some one just making a drive by comment on the bug.

There is a grease-monkey script which shows certain team memberships
for people commenting on bugs. I can't remember if u-u-s is one of the
default memberships it shows or if I added that myself. Either way it
is something I have found useful in the past.

- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio