Linux-VServer kernel flavour packages

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 29 09:17:43 BST 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 03:33:00AM EST, Christoph Lukas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are using Linux-VServer [1] as lightweight virtualization solution.
> While Debian provides a vserver kernel flavour Ubuntu does not.
>
> I have therefore build Ubuntu kernel images for our personal use since
> Feisty. I would like to see these packages integrated into universe if
> possible at all.

How many kernel variants do you have per architecture? Have you also considered basing your kernels on the Ubuntu mainline kernels? If so, I am happy to work with you to help get a git tree set up so you can use the Ubuntu mainline kernel source as a base.

You will need to keep up with the kernel related changes for Ubuntu as it gets developed, so that if someone uses your kernel, nothing breaks/regresses. Also note that its too late to get it in for jaunty now, however karmic could easily be the cycle used to get the kernels in and tested etc.

> I am sending this email to find out if there are some general objections
> against this idea or if it might be worth trying the normal REVU
> process.

No objections from me, but I suggest you consider the time needed to maintain the kernels, because if they sit to rot in the archive, and an Ubuntu userspace change breaks their functionality, there will be greater reason for them to be removed from the archive.

> Anyone interested can take a look at the packages in my ppa at [2].

I'll take a look at them in the next week or so to see how you currently put them together.

Luke