python-biopython-sql package

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 27 10:33:26 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Charles Plessy <plessy at debian.org> wrote:
> Le Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:16:41PM +0000, Peter Cock a écrit :
>>
>> Its probably a bad idea to change the package name now, but I would
>> have called it python-biopython-biosql. Also it isn't tied to Python
>> 2.2 in any way.  My suggestion:
>>
>> > python-biopython-sql
>> > Biopython support for the BioSQL database schema
>> > This is the Biopython interface to a BioSQL database (see www.biosql.org
>> > for details).  BioPerl, BioJava and BioRuby also provide their own BioSQL
>> > interfaces onto the same shared SQL schema.
>>
>> It would also be nice if all the python-biopython-sql package
>> webpages/metadata could include www.biosql.org (in addition to
>> www.biopython.org) on the "External Resources" section.
>
> Dear Peter,
>
> I have changed the package description in our Subversion repository according
> to your suggestion. Our packages pages will be refreshed the next time the
> package is updated.

Great :)

> For the name of the package itself, as you guessed, changing its name is more
> problematic.

OK - that's not a big issue.

> The "External Ressources" section of the sidebar of packages.d.o and
> packages.u.c actually only contains homepages for the moment and I do not know
> a way to add other links. But I have left a TODO comment for the day it will
> become possible.

Well, if you only have room for one homepage, then www.biopython.org seems
best.

> By the way, do you think it would be useful to package BioSQL?

Possibly - but it comes in PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, HSQLDB, and Apache Derby
variants for the core schema, so it would be a big job.  My
inclination is NOT to try and
package it as most installations tend to get customized anyway.

> Thanks a lot for your feedback !

And thank you for your quick reply and action,

Regards,

Peter