packaging gtkwave and icarus verilog

Andrew a.starr.b at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:23:32 GMT 2009

> I need help in naming the versions of PPA packages. The instructions
> are not very clear, and I did not check many examples. Please make
> suggestions.

Looking at what you've done, you almost have it. X.Y-1~1 is smaller
than X.Y-1 this allows the PPA package to be replaced by the official
Ubuntu package once it enters the archive.

So you have gtkwave (3.2.0-2~ppa1) in your archive. The problem is
that both Debian and Ubuntu only have version gtkwave (3.1.13-1).

The first Debian upload of this version would be: 3.2.0-1

If Ubuntu decided to package the new upstream release before Debian,
it would be: 3.2.0-0ubuntu1

If Ubuntu uses the Debian package and modifies it, it would be: 3.2.0-1ubuntu1

The package in your PPA would replace any of those versions above as
X.Y-2, even if it's X.Y-2~1, is always bigger than X.Y-1.

Your package should have been: 3.2.0-0ubuntu1~ppa1 or 3.2.0-1~ppa1

Hope that makes sense,

- Andrew Starr-Bochicchioo
Ubuntu Contributing Developer