Call for feedback: REVU header and notifications

Nathan Handler nhandler at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 6 01:55:53 GMT 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Cody A.W. Somerville
<cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Nathan: Can you elaborate why you feel the way you do?

Let me start by apologizing for the late reply. I was out of town, and
I am still catching up on all of the stuff that I missed while away.

I personally do not care who sees my email address. However, there is
a large group of people on the web who prefers to have the ability to
keep their email address hidden on certain websites. This is why sites
like Launchpad and the Ubuntu forums allow users to keep their email
address hidden. These users can still be contacted through the use of
a form on the site.

Since using REVU requires having a Launchpad account, it would not be
too difficult to add a "Contact this User" link to the profile that
would use the Launchpad form.

By implementing something like this, all users on REVU would still be
contactable. They also would not need to expose their email addresses
to random people. Siegfried mentioned that he likes being able to
quickly see who is interested on a package. This can be seen on the
REVU interface, which lists the names of all subscribers.

Another argument that was made for using the To field was that it
makes it easy for people to send an email to all interested people by
clicking on "Reply to All" in their email client. In my opinion, this
should never be done. If someone has a comment that everyone
interested in a certain package should see, it should be added as a
comment on REVU, not sent in a private email.

Nathan Handler (nhandler)