Call for feedback: REVU header and notifications

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 1 15:42:15 GMT 2009

Hello,

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT) <
rainct at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Heya,
>
> Just two quick questions...
>
> First of all, I've been thinking for a while about changing REVU's
> subtitle from «A Review Tool for MOTUs» to the more descriptive
> «Collaborative Ubuntu Packages Reviewing»; if you have better ideas
> let me hear, and if you think we shouldn't change it too (this
> shouldn't really make a difference, but I was asked to get feedback on
> this ML first as that line has been there forever).

How about "Ubuntu's Collaborative Package Review Tool"? If you're going to
name a thing, you can't use a verb - you need to use a noun.

> Unrelated to this, Nathan Handler has asked that in the e-mail
> notifications send out by REVU the subscribers should not be listed in
> a "To:" field but instead as "Bcc:" to hide their e-mails. Personally
> I disagree with this, as I like being able to quickly check who else
> is interested in a package or know if some interested party has also
> got a notification, and it also avoids having to go to Launchpad to
> find the e-mail address of someone if you want to contact them
> privately. I do not see privacy being a concern here as people
> contributing to Ubuntu should be contactable and not be hiding their
> e-mail address, it is available on Launchpad anyway (I'm not sure if
> notifications are working for people who have set their email to not
> be displayed) and if someone wants to harvest e-mails there are way
> more efficient ways than subscribing to REVU packages (like looking at
> the changelogs). However, I wanted to hear what other people think
> about this.

I completely agree with you. If you wish to contribute to Ubuntu, you need
to be contactable and visible. If people want to hide their real life
identity, their prerogative, the world wide web easily facilitates the
creation of new identities.

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT)

Nathan: Can you elaborate why you feel the way you do?

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer