Suggest removal of gtkrsync from karmic

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Fri Jun 12 07:27:48 BST 2009

Hello,

I'd like to suggest removing the package "gtkrsync" from karmic.
Gtkrsync is a graphical frontend to rsync, but requires rsync <= 2.6 to
work. Since the upgrade of rsync to 3.0 with intrepid (or
hardy-backports), gtkrsync is broken. See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtkrsync/+bug/297183

I have also contacted the original maintainer of gtkrsync one month ago,
but got no reply.

I took a look at the sources to see if this is easy to fix, but gtkrsync
is written in Haskell, and I have absolutely no knowledge of Haskell.

I have already seen several packages in jaunty which do not work any
more because the software they depend on has changed version. Among them
are at least mail-notification-evolution (compiled for Evo 2.24 while
Evo 2.26 is in jaunty) and openoffice.org-wiki-publisher (is for OOo 2.4
while OOo 3.0 is in jaunty), and I think this is really ugly.

I think we should at least remove such packages if they cannot be fixed.

As we cannot remove gtkrsync from intrepid or jaunty, would it be
possible to upload a package which depends on rsync <= 2.6, making the
package effectively uninstallable?

Bye,
Andreas