Audacity Package for Ubuntu / Debian

Fred Drueck fdruec1 at
Thu Jun 11 06:49:07 BST 2009

Hello all,

I'm not sure of the excepted etiquette or forum for my request, because I have
never wanted to make one like it before, so I'm e-mailing the package
maintainers, I figure they are listed by aptitude for a reason, my apologies if
I'm offending anyone and/or being a pest and thanks for the work you've done in
providing pre-compiled software that I have used.

As you are probably aware, Ubuntu ships version 1.3.7 of Audacity in the 9.04
release, according the audacity website, this is a "beta version", there is
also a "stable version", currently 1.2.6.  I have experienced a number of bugs
with the "beta" version provided in Ubuntu, it's possible that these are
system-specific bugs present in the linux port of the 1.2.x series, but these
are definitely bugs I do not encounter using the stable version of Audacity in
Windows, while I have experienced a number of similar bugs trying to use a
previous 1.3.x version of Audacity in Windows.  Another problem I have i that
project files can be imported from Audacity 1.2.x into the 1.3.x branch, but
not vice-versa, and I don't want to have to use the un-stable, buggy beta
software in Windows as well.  (there are work arounds that I can use to get my
date back into 1.2.6, by exporting individual audio tracks to .WAV and then
re-importing them one at time, but I would rather not have to do that).

Anyways, my opinion is that ubuntu should provide the "stable" 1.2.x series of
packages from the audacity team as the default option; perhaps offering the
"beta" 1.3.x series as well.  (Although I've been having a hell of time trying
to build a functional 1.2.6 audacity package, so maybe that's why it's not in
the repos)

thanks for your time,