pbuilder information and pkgbinarymangler (was: Re: hardinfo FTBFS, but cannot reproduce )

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 5 02:09:20 BST 2009

Michael Bienia wrote:

> You probably don't have "pkgbinarymangler" in your pbuilder installed.
> It's used by the buildds but you have to install it yourself in your
> pbuilder if you want to reproduce certain FTBFS or do the same checks
> and manipulations as the buildds.

Useful info.  Could I suggest you add info about this to the Pbuilder
HOWTO at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto so that newcomers to
setting up pbuilders are likely to come across it?

I could edit it myself, but you sound like much more of a
pkgbinarymangler expert than I am :)

While I think of it, I think it would be useful for the MOTU Packaging
Guide to include a pointer to the Pbuilder HOWTO.  While it is in once
sense "just another wiki page", because it is such a key resource, I'm a
bit reluctant to just go ahead and edit it... should I "just do it"?
Does the Packaging Guide have a primary editor I should talk to first?

Thanks,

Jonathan