powerpc arch is in a sad state

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk
Tue Jul 28 15:32:45 BST 2009

The powerpc platform is not officially supported in the archives, but
it exists as a port and is without a doubt useful for many users.

However, the platform is in a sad state for karmic, almost all builds
I have submitted as of late have failed, and the FTBFS list is a mile
long.  It is my firm impression that the powerpc port has deteriorated
during the last releases.  I do not myself have a powerpc machine to
do testbuilding, and so debugging becomes a very slow and tedious
affair. Perhaps someone with access to powerpc platform could be
persuaded to do something about it?

With so many packages to fix, it is important to start at the bottom
nodes of the dependency graph. A web based tool to visualize the
ancestors (and children) of a particular package, along with their
build status would be extremely useful. Perhaps we could have a
project to create such a tool?

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Morten