How to put our new package (for free) into Karmic 9.10

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Mon Jul 27 10:15:22 BST 2009

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> Hi Ilgis
>
> Ilgis Ibragimov wrote:
>> One small question regarding to our package. We have it right now as
>> sources, and we can provide as sources. However, it is highly desirable
>> to build many (about 10) different libraries for different platforms,
>> for example:
>> 1. CPU AMD 32bit,
>> 2. CPU AMD 64bit,
>> 3. CPU Intel 32bit,
>> 4. CPU Inter 64bit,
>> 5. GPU NVIDIA 8xxx,
>> 6. GPU NVIDIA 9xxx,
>> 7. GPU NVIDIA 2xxx,
>> and probably some other minor things depending on amount of Cores in CPU.
>>
>> We can provide binaries as well. Would you please, to tell me is the
>> REVU is the right place where I get an information how to organize the
>> package so that it provide only the best suitable version for user?
>
> I believe you will only need to upload the source package to REVU, from
> there the build server(s) should be able to build the the binary
> packages.

REVU is a tool for publishing proposed source packages for review by
MOTUs and the community - no automatic builds are performed on REVU uploads.

REVU is definitely the right place to be publishing a new source package
you would like advice and comments on, but asking specific questions
either on this mailing list or on the #ubuntu-motu IRC channel is also
advisable.

In particular, why does your package need so many platform-variant
builds? Mostly Ubuntu only differentiates between x86 and x86_64 CPU
architectures.

Max.