Suggest removal of gtkrsync from karmic

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Wed Jul 1 14:20:08 BST 2009

Max Bowsher schrieb:
> Andreas Heinlein wrote:
>
>> Andreas Heinlein schrieb:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'd like to suggest removing the package "gtkrsync" from karmic.
>>> Gtkrsync is a graphical frontend to rsync, but requires rsync <= 2.6 to
>>> work. Since the upgrade of rsync to 3.0 with intrepid (or
>>> hardy-backports), gtkrsync is broken. See
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtkrsync/+bug/297183
>>>

> That bug suggest that only progress bar display, not the entire
> operation of the program, is broken - if the breakage is more severe
> than that, please could you note that in the bug? Thanks.

Well, since showing the progress bar is the main and only use of
gtkrsync, I consider it broken. Please note that this is *not* grsync,
which is a graphical frontend to build an rsync command line. Gtkrsync
is meant to be called from scripts as a drop-in-replacement to rsync and
show a progress bar during the rsync run. Currently, gtkrsync just pops
up and sits there until rsync is done.
>>> I have also contacted the original maintainer of gtkrsync one month ago,
>>> but got no reply.
>>>

> A good thing to do - please do note that in the bug report so people are
> aware that an upstream solution is unlikely to be forthcoming.

I did so.
> As gtkrsync is in Debian (and moreso since there are no Ubuntu-specific
> changes), the best way to proceed is to file the bug report in the
> Debian BTS, and discuss fix vs. remove with the Debian maintainer.
>
> Whichever option is chosen, Ubuntu can then sync.

Agreed, I'll file a report in Debian.

Bye,
Andreas