Early backports to reduce post-release fixes

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Jan 27 22:28:56 GMT 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:28:20 +0100 Reinhard Tartler <siretart at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz at ubuntu.com> writes:
>
>> How can we help motu-sru to avoid some SRU requests for trivial tasks,
>> allowing a greater audience to test packages without the need to
>> upgrade? My proposal is to prepare early backports of the most commonly
>> used packages in Universe. Starting from Feature Freeze, we could
>> identify some packages with high popcon and determine if it's worth to
>> prepare a backport for current stable release (new upstream releases,
>> new features to be tested, and so on), so the main part of the Ubuntu
>> users can effectively test packages and report issues, so they can be
>> fixed in time for the release.
>
>Short: I like the idea.
>
>I could imagine a lightweight approach: Activate the ~ubuntu-dev (or
>~motu) PPA, and use it as "backports-staging" archive. Proposed policy:
>
>- proposed package backports should be tracked via a malone bug
>- any motu may upload there if he feels that a package should be
>  backported, mentioning the LP bug number
>- the backport teams tracks these bugs and approves backports if
>  "enough" positive feedback from users has been given in the LP bug

The general standard has been one user reporting it builds, installs, runs.
 For packages with rdepends, they need to be tested too.

This probably seems like a very low standard, but in virtually all cases it
proves sufficient.

In some cases we ask for more testing if it seems prudent.

In short, I don't think we need the PPA step.

Scott K