Early backports to reduce post-release fixes

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 27 16:25:35 GMT 2009

On 27 Jan 2009, at 12:28, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> - the backport teams tracks these bugs and approves backports if
> "enough" positive feedback from users has been given in the LP bug

I thought the intent wasn't to use this as staging for backports, but
to allow users of stable releases to test packages from the current
development release without having to upgrade their system wholesale.
This will help weed out more bugs in the new version before it becomes
harder to fix them post-release.

I am a bit concerned that the PPA would suffer from the same problem
that -backports and -proposed suffer from now - that there's no easy
way for end-users to selectively enable it. Once enabled, they will
receive updates for all packages that a MOTU cares to upload that they
have installed. Given that this will carry an image of being
officially sanctioned in some way, it won't look good if this becomes
a sort of "development-release-lite", upgrading end-user applications
and potentially destabilising systems.

Also, I worry that this will become a short-cut to backporting too. I
can see people requesting new upstreams be released to this new PPA,
ostensibly "for testing purposes", but really to negate the often-
protracted backporting process

Just thoughts. The basic premise is good, and I think it would be nice
to see some movement in this direction.

Iain