error in packaging guide-CDBS

Milos Mandaric milos at manda.com.ba
Thu Jan 1 11:09:24 GMT 2009

I had a lot of problems with this guide. It says that debian/rules file
using CDBS can fit in 2 lines:

 include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
 include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/autotools.mk

I always get error:

 debian/rules: line 3: include: command not found
 debian/rules: line 4: include: command not found
 dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit status 127
 debuild: fatal error at line 1329:
 dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed

After changing debian/rules to:

 #!/usr/bin/make -f
 include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
 include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/autotools.mk

it works fine.
Am I doing something wrong or this guide has errors?