[gnu.org #412684] bug in pstopdf (part of package ConTeXt), malformed output

Peter Olson via RT sysadmin at gnu.org
Fri Feb 27 16:52:24 GMT 2009

being forwarded to maintainers: Ubuntu MOTU Developers
<ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com>

We have a Postscript file which formats normally using ps2pdf (from the
Ghostscript package) but which produces a malformed output when
formatted using pstopdf (from the ConTeXt package).  In both cases, the
output is supposed to be in PDF 1.4 format.  Using Evince Document
Viewer 2.22.2 the faulty output appears as eight pages each
approximately 1 mm square and apparently empty (I can't magnify the
document enough to see whether there is any visible text in the pages).
 The output of ps2pdf also produces 8 pages, which look quite normal.

File sizes: input Postscript 62,060 bytes, ps2pdf output 18,630 bytes,
pstopdf output 5244 bytes.

I can provide a copy of the input on request so you can reproduce the
bug.  See below for the header of the PS document, which might provide
some useful clues.

Peter Olson
FSF Systems Administrator