Staging area for REVU uploads?

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 21 18:51:59 GMT 2009

Hi Morten:

2009/2/21 Morten Kjeldgaard <mok at bioxray.au.dk>

> Hi MOTUs,
>
> I propose that we establish a PPA staging area for certain packages in
> REVU.

In principle I think having an environment that builds packages from revu is
a great idea.  Unfortunately, the PPA's in their currently implementation
are not a good idea.  I'll nest a few reasons why below:

> There are several reasons why this could be practical:
>
>  * At times, uploaders submit library packages, and also have other
> packages that depend on that library package uploaded for review. With
> the REVU PPA in listed in the pbuilder environments, it will be easy
> to build and review the dependent packages, without having to wait for
> the library package to reach the final archive.

What happens when someone needs to make changes without modifying the build
number?  REVU allows this, but PPAs explicitly wouldn't unless you deleted
the old build, waited for the publisher to see the deletion, and reran it.
You'd then run into weird situations on environments that might have already
installed a package from the REVU PPA.

> * With the packages in a staging area, it would be easier and more
> convienient to invite people to do some preliminary installation and
> testing of the packages.

Yes.  I agree a staging area would be spectacular for this purpose.

> * Certain build problems with packages might be exposed before being
> uploaded to the final archive.

I'd be more of a fan of a build happening in a pbuilder, sbuild, what not,
but binaries not being published as easily.  The build log would be
sufficient to identify the build problems.

> * Perhaps it is possible to pull packages directly from the PPA into
> the NEW queue?

Generally when people upload to PPAs, they'll append ~ppaX or +ppaY to the
revision to reflect the fact that these aren't really in the archive yet.
There can be some confusion especially when there are changes to the
packaging, but the build number hasn't changed.

Regards

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at gmail.com