MOTU Meeting Minutes for 2009-01-30

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk
Fri Feb 13 11:18:20 GMT 2009

Nathan Handler wrote:

>  However, the more I think about this issue, the more I
> feel that more lists are not the correct solution. Your philosophy
> behind adding more lists was to not have packages that already had one
> advocate but received a non-advocating comment from a MOTU be sent to
> the Needs Work list.

Well, the philosophy is rather to clearly separate packages in different
stages of reviewing so they don't get lost in the muddle of entirely
new, unreviewed packages, packages that have been abandoned, etc. The
result is that packages might wait a bit longer for their first review,
but should then progress faster as MOTUs will be able to focus their
attention on packages that are steadily improving.

> What if instead of lists, we had searches? These
> searches would allow each user to specify exactly what type of
> packages they wish to see. For instance, there could be searches based
> on the number of comments, searches based on the number of days since
> the package was uploaded, or even searches based on the name of the
> package. We could then allow the user to choose which search(s) should
> be displayed on the main page. I think that this would make it much
> easier for MOTUs to find the packages they are interested in and
> review them. I am interested in hearing what the rest of the community
> thinks about this ideas.

What you are proposing is a cool idea that would be very useful and
flexible. In practical terms though, it sounds like a major revision of
the interface, and from my limited knowledge of the software I can't say
what it entails in terms of programming. Perhaps you can follow in my
footsteps and make a mockup site that could present your ideas?

My workflow proposal does not represent the ultimate system for
reviewing; although REVU is really very good, I am sure one could
imagine a much more powerful revuing system, for example under Launchpad
auspices. My suggestion was based on a quite minimal change of the
underlying software (despite that, it turned out to be a bit more than I
had originally envisioned!) so it really is a compromise.

Cheers,
Morten